Thursday, October 2, 2014

Blogging Success Formula


Blogging = Selling eBooks
Sales is sales and selling with a blog follows the same equations of success as selling with an eBook. I'm consistently in the top 1 to 2% of eBook writers for Amazon and I know the equation for success is the same for blogging.

I've published 49 eBooks for Amazon and many of them are about how to be successful writing, marketing and selling eBooks on Amazon. The same methods work for successful blogging.

Do you want the full story?
If yes, then click on the cover and get the book. It's only $2.99 and free for those with Kindle Unlimited. I will give you the single most important success factor in this blog.

Defining Success
There is only one thing a blogger can control, and that is the number of posts. There is a saying in sales that you can tie a note to a dog and it would make some sales as it wandered around town. 

Successful sales reps make contacts. The more contacts, the more success they have. 

Contacts are a blog post, not views. If a blogger makes a post a day, they WILL be successful. But success doesn't come quickly.

Law of Balance
There is a law of balance in the work place. Pay is a function of productive effort. If it takes an hour a day to make a blog post, then a person shouldn't expect to make more than an hour a day's pay. 

Residual Sales
In sales, pay is deferred with residual sales. I don't expect to sell 4 or 5 eBooks as a result of this post. I'd be surprised to sell one. I do expect that over the next 5 years this post will sell 4 or 5 eBooks. That is, if I keep making a blog post a day. 

Expectations
I don't expect to make more than 10 cents an hour for the first year of blogging. When the number of posts reaches some critical number, then I'll start getting "back pay" and after 3 years, I MIGHT make minimum wage. It won't be until 5 years that I start making a living. 

This is simply how sales work, and if a person isn't prepared for this, they will fail.

This chart applies to all forms of sales. People expect straight line growth, but what they get is exponential growth.

The straight line represents productive effort. For blogging, that means the number of posts. Period. Nothing else. Not marketing, not anything. Marketing is ephemeral and the effect stops the day marketing stops.

The rule of sales is that for any period that starts on the first day of work, the sales in the last third of the period will equal the sales in the first two-thirds.

For example, in years 5 an 6, I'll make what I earned in years 1 to 4 combined. This formula continues to infinity as long as the blogger continues making the same input. A post a day, or whatever the cycle is for the particular type of blog.

This rule only works if the input is sufficient and consistent. A jet can't take off at idle power.  I've determined that for my other blog, the input must be daily with few skips. 

Active vs. Passive Income Blogs
This is a passive income blog. I may eventually make a few dollars as people buy my books. Passive income blogs generate their income over years.

An active income blog prospects for business -- like editing. These generate income sooner, but there is another input -- editing.

Over the long term, passive income blogs will be more successful. That is, if the blogger doesn't starve while waiting. Long term is defined after 5 years.

One blog to failure
Don't expect to get rich on one blog. Once a blogger is proficient, it shouldn't take more than an hour to make a post. The law of balance says the blogger will get an hour's pay for an hour's work. 

To make a living, a person needs to do a full day's work. For writers, that means four hours of typing a day. Creativity time is not included. I find it takes about 6 to 8 hours to do four hours of typing a day. 

If a person wants a full time wage, they need to work full time. This means four blogs. 

This is only part of the story
All I can do in a blog is an introduction. The book on the top gives more of the secrets as do the books on the sidebar. 

Another way to look at residual income
My blogs are magazines. That means I provide content to draw people to click on advertisements. I will get a small amount of residual income a month.

There is another way to look at residual income. Click on the cover at the top of the page to learn how I make over $9.00 a MINUTE writing and selling eBooks for Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment