Friday, October 3, 2014

Do you Break for Creativity?

When I'm "in the flow" I write my best. However, if I keep writing in the flow, eventually I run out of ideas and get writer's block. I found taking frequent breaks "keeps the bathwater hot" and I write more. This assumes I've already done my research and have a long list of brainstorming ideas.

I use the Wellnomics Workpace monitor. I set the typing time at 20 minutes and the rest time at 7 minutes. When I started, I set the typing time at 15 minutes. Note: If the writer stops typing for too long, the timer stops.

The application resides in the corner of my screen or if I prefer, I can hide it. At first, it was too much pressure. It was like when Sister Agnes used to walk around with a pointer in the third grade when we were taking a test. Now I use the remaining time as a guide to the time I have left to complete a section.

When it's time for a break, a pop-up appears on the screen and it shuts off the keyboard. There is some time before the keyboard is shut off to complete a sentence.

Wellnomics sells the application as a way to prevent injuries from typing too much without a break. I found they are micro-breaks for creativity. During the breaks I usually pace around the house with a cup of coffee and empty my mind. Ideas detonate in my subconscious and the outline for the next section of writing appears in my conscious mind.

I'm a checklist-user when I write. Here is what a perfect morning  looks like when I'm writing books. The numbers include both the typing time and the break. My typing time is 20 minutes and my break is seven minutes.

1 2 3 4 5 6  (Time including typing and breaks: 2 hrs, 35 minutes)
Breakfast (30 minutes)
1 2 3 4 5 6 (Time including typing and breaks: 2 hrs, 35 minutes)

It takes 5 hours and 40 minutes to complete the cycle. I usually average about 1,900 words per hour, so I can complete 7,600 words a day. This includes "almost final" proofreading and editing.

At the beginning of the day, my assistant gives me an index card with a list of tasks for the day. I cross each item off as I complete it. I save the index cards in a card file as a record of my hard work. (My assistant is my Inner Coach.)

The application is expensive -- $89. The price is high, but the benefit is higher -- more books to  publish. There is a 30-day free trial without giving a credit card number.




No comments:

Post a Comment